Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ten Years ago on Valentine's




Yesterday I went to my old church. The church I attended before I met Brian, before I went to college, before I ever thought about leaving Houston. Before I even knew that God was going to use my life as a cup of offering to serve others. It was ten years ago that I was a teenager.


Yesterday, IBDR (Iglesia Bautista del Redentor) had a youth event just for girls. It was a Valentines' themed party meant for the One Valentine, Jesus. And so it was ten years ago that I was in that same spot. I was 15, thinking about boys, thinking about love, thinking about school, thinking about my sisters, thinking about church, thinking if I was really beautiful, or just average. My thoughts were so skewed; my life so meaningless. Then, two years later at 17, my life changed. My life took a turn. I was different. I found what I was looking for, and since then, I haven't let go.

I was asked to do a photo booth for this event and i thought to myself, let me capture them outside. Let me give these girls the gift of viewing themselves as how they really are. I want to show them how beautiful they can be. And so yesterday, I saw myself through the lens ten years ago. Following most of the girls that attended this event. How beautiful they are!

Happy Sunday to all.



Ayer fui a la iglesia en la cual antes asistía. La iglesia que asistí antes de conocer a Brian, antes de ir a la universiada, antes que mis pensamientos me decían que tenía que irme lejos de Houston, antes que supe que Dios iba a usar mi vida como un vaso para servir a otros. Fue hace diez años que fui una adolecente. 

Ayer, en la iglesia Bautista del Redentor tuvieron un evento para el día del amor y amistad. Una fiesta para el único Valentin, Jesus. Y fue entonces hace diez años que yo estaba en este mismo lugar. Tenía 15 años y pensaba en los chavos, pensaba sobre el amor, sobre el colegio, sobre mis hermanas, sobre la iglesia, me preguntaba si yo era bonita o simplemente regular. Mis pensamientos eran tan insignificativos y mi vida también. Y entonces dos años después, a los 17 años de edad, my vida cambio. Mi vida tomó un turno. Era algo diferente. Al fin encontré lo que estaba buscando, y desde entonces, no me ha dejado ir.

Me preguntaron si podía tomar fotos para este evento, y me puse a pensar antes del evento,¿por qué no tomar las fotos afuera? en la luz natural? Quiero darle a estas niñas el regalo de verse tal como son. Quiero enseñarles que tan lindas son. Fue entonces ayer que me ví a mí misma a traves del lente, hace diez años. 

Lo que sigue: la mayoría de las niñas que asisterión al evento. Que hermosas son!

Feliz Domingo. 
















































The ladies that made this event happen! Las hermanos que tomaron parte
en este evento!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Place your Comment Here